There have been plenty of times where frustration caused by someone's incompetence has lead me to take over a task so that I know that it gets done correctly.
Sometimes there are no other options than to do something yourself in order to make sure that it is done right.
However,
who is in a place to say what is right and what is perceived as correct? Not me! But do I do it... almost everyday. For me, I think it all comes down to trust. I have realized that in the times that I feel that someone is incompetent and I make the choice to do (or redo) a task myself, I have found that it is because I don't trust them. I think that this comes in different levels depending on what needs to be done. Like weighing pros and cons. These people that I "don't trust" might be completely competent and i'm a fool for wasting my time trying to make sure that something gets done. In the end, my concept of "the right way" isn't the right way or the only way; it's simply my way. Perhaps it's arrogance that makes me feel that my way is superior... but I don't consider myself an arrogant person in a negative way. Just someone who trusts themselves and has some positive pride.
I think there is something more to this. Perhaps it is a positive quality that I possess in wanting to do things my way. Often, this is because I know that I am capable of doing something and don't want to put someone out of their way to do it when 1. I am capable 2. I know how I would like it done and trust that I will get it done that way and 3. I don't have trust that they will do it how I want it done (my perceived "right way").
That isn't always the motive.
--- rewrite
If you want something done right, then do it yourself!
Right? That's how it goes? Well, who the hell says that the right way is your way it's just... your way! And you perceive it as right. And who are you to say that your way is right? What are you, a professor or something that requests that everyone address you as "Doctor?" Anyway, you should be saying,
"If I want it done my way than I have to do it."
I've thought about this often while working with others. I become frustrated with their way of doing things because I perceive their actions as wrong. And honestly, sometimes they are! So wrong! And I find it incredibly stupid that they are doing a certain thing a certain way. Some people are just stupid. And that's the truth. But some people have different ways of doing things. We should allow them to do it and do our best to damn our pride and give them the opportunity to complete the task without our intervention.
I've not worked with kids hardly at all and I don't have any of my own but I have thought to myself that this must be somewhat how it is to have children. We, as adults, simply have more practice when it comes to simple tasks. Although we will have a lot of teaching moments with children where we help to teach them what we have learned, trial and error is a more effective teacher and we need to sit back, cringe, and watch them learn a lesson when it isn't the end of the world if they get it wrong.
I've come to learn about my personality as compared to others and I feel as though I struggle with this slightly more than other people; I spend a lot of my time observing myself and self-perfecting if you will. I've grown up with the thought that I want to be someone that I want to be around; like if I had a doppelgänger, we would be best friends or something. I think i've done a pretty good job honestly but it has taken some work. This mindset is something that I don't feel is shared with the general population, leading me to feel more frustrated when something so simple is done so difficult...ly by another person. It can be very detrimental when the person doing something so simple so difficulty...ly is myself (talk about self-loathing).
Generally, and this is a learned behavior, I try not to be annoyed by people doing things that I perceive as "wrong." After all, my way probably isn't the best way. And often, I end up doing things my way because I want them done a certain way and I think that they deserve to be done a certain way. I don't think there is much wrong with this except it can be done out of pride. But what is wrong with some personal pride? I think it's a positive quality to be confidant in your ability to do things as long as you can remain humble.
If I look introspectively, this could be a sign of my lack of trust for people. That kinda sucks. People can be trusted right? Is that a fact? I have a decent amount of faith in humanity. Hell, I even wrote an essay in school saying that I believed contrary to William Golding's opinion that humans are inherently bad. Or something that I have been taught to believe? Or have I been taught to believe that people shouldn't be trusted? Nature or nurture? I wonder where this comes from for me.
I have no personal reason not to trust people. Like, nothing crazy happened in my childhood that made me not trust people. I think now that I just trust myself more than others. And that is pretty cool right? I remember distinctly thinking when I was driving 4 hours south from my home to go to college back in 2012 that I had gotten to that place all on my own and I didn't need any help! And although I may deserve a small pat on the back for the achievements I worked hard to earn myself, how selfish and prideful is that thought! Pretty darn. Retrospectively, it was quite prideful. I remember recognizing that in myself. Since then, I have carried some of that same mentality and i'd like to say it is in healthier doses.
I have worked hard for what I have and I have not received a lot of handouts. I trust myself to continue to do this for myself. If we are speaking more in "the now," I trust myself to do this for myself AND my wife and our future family but unfortunately with less confidence. Who can blame me? I'm new at this. At times, the weight of feeling like I don't trust myself to do that is a lot. On the good days, when I trust myself and feel good about myself, I do trust myself to provide not just the essentials but also some comforts to say the least. And maybe my lack of trust in others is feeling like they are getting in my way of achieving the future essentials and comforts. This leads to my intervention so that something gets done the "right way."
This mentality carries over into my employment and the company that I work for. I believe that I look out for and am aware of the essentials of the business and know what it takes to provide those essentials to and for the company. Working with people that don't share this same vision is what frustrates me and makes me feel the need to coach or intervene. Maybe that is it.
No comments:
Post a Comment